Wednesday, February 2, 2011
My Mommy Fears: Disclosed!
All mom's, especially when new, have their fears. Right? For me, it use to be two major milestones: Potty training and the big boy bed! While I'm sure Evann wasn't the first child to not transition to a big boy bed until his 3rd birthday, many of my close friends & relatives thought I was nuts. All in all, it couldn't have gone more smoothly. Evann's wonderful sleep habits never changed, he never got out of bed.... what was I so worried about? Then potty training! Once we set our minds to jump in with both feet to potty train, Evann caught on like a champ. To this day, we've not had a bed wetting accident or "out in public" accident. Again, what was I so afraid of? The reason I tell you all of this is because I have new fears!!!! Here they are: tying his shoes, wearing pants with buttons & telling time on a clock! I'm not kidding here!! My kid will be five in 5 months, heading off to kindergarten. We haven't even begun to address the shoe tying. He's worn button pants twice. The next size up no longer comes in elastic waste bands. Then reading a clock. Oh lord! I've worked on using a real clock and became too frustrated myself. How the heck do you teach 1=5mins 2=10mins?? It didn't sound nuts until I was trying to teach a 4 year old! Of course, I'm sure in a year from now I'll be saying "what was I so worried about?". Nonetheless, these are my new fears. The ones I see little bratty kindergartners making fun of my sweet boy over. Don't even get me started on kindergarten either!!! Really, we send a five year old off into the world, all alone to figure out how to navigate the cold hallways of elementary school. GEEZ!! They've been by our side, or the safe environments we choose with small groups and security monitored doors.... to nadda! MUST BREATH! And remind myself, it'll all be ok. RIGHT????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I frequently have to remind myself, that the worries I have, in comparison to what they could be, are a blessing. Take a deep breath, and maybe MJ and Ev can work on buttons together. :-)
ReplyDelete